Monday, November 06, 2006

An Impact... What Are You Saying?

How frustrating, aggrivating, and proposterous!

These are but a few adjectives that describe the way i feel when i see some facebook & myspace web pages. As a student pastor i frequent sites like facebook and myspace to stay in touch with students as well as my high shcool and college friends. What i have been finding has really concerned me. For instance, i think you can learn a lot about a person by simply looking at their interests. My favorite profiles look something like this:

Interests: ~!!GOD!!~ hanging out with friends, my youth group, kissing in the rain, partying, etc.

did you catch that? squiggly line !! God !! squiggly line. then my youth group. then these other things that make you just like the world. (disclaimer: i am not saying that kissing in the rain makes you a terrible person)

What about the groups that you join? I have students that put God as their number one interest then they join groups like: the beer drinking committee, I love to be Jagermeistered, I Love Jack Daniels, not to mention all the groups that are nothing but profanity and encourage hooking up.

Please don't get me wrong, and do not think that i am judging you for what you want to be a part of.

i guess i simply want you to think about what your profile is saying about God? What is it saying about Christians? What is it saying about you as an individual?

I beg some of you to think more highly of yourself! Some of you guys appear to be immature alcoholics who don't have a vocabulary larger than four letters. And some of you girls appear to be real sleazy. The focus of your page deals with superficial relationships & hooking up.

If you had to define a Christian by your page or profile, what would your definition be?

You see the fact is that you are making an impact. What are you impacting? This world for Christ or something else. I encourage you to take a look at your individual page and get a real picture of who you are as a person. Find out what your priorities are. You may even notice that you don't worship your creator, but what everyone else thinks.

I pray that you would understand who you are in Jesus Christ... complete, lacking nothing. I pray that you would quit trying to be something so others will think you are hip, or so you will fit in.

You were put on this earth for one reason... to bring glory to the son of God and make Him known! Are you fulfilling your purpose?

No comments: