Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Better Days

My mind, rummaging through many different topics, fixated itself on one specific question this morning... "Why are some days better than others?"
I can come up with all sorts of reasons but not many that suffice. But what exactly does it mean to have a better day anyways? During football season I hope that MSU has better days ahead, and thinking about the Middle East, I pray for better days (sooner than later). But what exactly does it mean to have a better day? What makes one day better that another?

Oddly, my day has been exuberant thus far! I have gotten so much done! But when does completing tasks make one day better than another? Oh, and the phone... it has been minimal... and my appointments... they have been a breeze. Again why do my circumstances govern whether or not one day is better than another? But that's how it is...my circumstances determine my feelings and emotions. If I have had a hard day at work, I will probably be grumpy. However, if my circumstances change so do my feelings.

I truly don't think I am alone here, but I do think this style of living is completely contrary to God's Word. I believe we should be content in whatever circumstances we face. We are to be joyful in prosperity, and joyful in suffering. Paul and James give us good reason to be joyful when we suffer, because our character is being developed (Romans 5:3-5; James 1:3-4). Not only is our character being developed but we are also sharing or fellowshipping in Christ's sufferings(Philippians 3:10). In Philippians 4:11b-12 Paul expresses his ability, "to be content in whatever circumstances". He explains, "I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

I think that the writer of Hebrews had a good grasp of how to be content when he encouraged us to, "lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith." (Hebrews 12:1-2a)

I think that's it. I must train my mind to see trials as good rather than bad, i must fix my eyes on Jesus and interpret this world through a biblical lens. I have to understand that the "world" has indoctrinated me with ideas contrary to God's Word. Like, suffering is bad, being first is best, and my needs are more important than others. I must become smaller as my Jesus becomes larger, in my mind and in my actions.



I am coming to realize that my "bad days" are when I am focused on the circumstances of my day as opposed to the God who created my day. It is always a "better day" when Christ is my focus!

No comments: